Temperature Logger Instructions for Retrieving Data

A read-only repository of popular topics and frequently asked questions - check here first!

Moderator: Monarch Watch

Temperature Logger Instructions for Retrieving Data

Postby Jim » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:33 pm

The following instructions will take you through the steps necessary to retrieve data from your temperature logger. Please make sure you have read through the "Instructions for Mac Users" or "Instructions for Windows Users" postings first.

The screenshots below depict the OneWireViewer application for Mac OS X; the Windows version should be virtually identical.

As always, please let me know if you have any questions or if something needs to be clarified. Thanks!

Before proceeding, have your temperature logger handy and make sure the USB adapter and probe are connected to your computer.

(1) Launch the OneWireViewer application. You will see the following window:

(2) Touch the probe to the temperature logger - you can press down a bit for hands-free operation. You will notice a new item in the Device List, a long serial number and then "DS1921G-F5" - this is the temperature logger:

(3) Click on this device to select it and then click on the "Thermochron" tab that appears (as you did when you "missioned" your logger). The logger's current mission status will be displayed:

(4) Click on the "Temperatures" tab and you will see a graph that represents the temperatures that have been logged since the mission was started. For our purposes make sure the "Fahrenheit" box is checked.

Control-click (or right-click) somewhere in the center of the graph to display a popup menu and then click on "Copy Data to Clipboard with Labels":

(5) Launch your text editor of choice - TextWrangler (Mac), Notepad (Win) or even Word. Open a new blank document and then select "Edit --> Paste". Each temperature record with the date/time, temperature unit, and temperature reading will be displayed in comma separated format:

Save this document on your desktop so you can easily find it again when you need to open it in a minute. NOTE: Be sure to save this document as "Text Only", "Text Only with Line Breaks", or "Comma Separated".

At this point you can disconnect the logger and close the OneWireViewer application if you want to.

(6) Open your spreadsheet application of choice (e.g., Excel) and select "Open" from the file menu. Navigate to the text file you just created and click "open". If you are using Excel you will be presented with the "Text Import Wizard". Select the "Delimited" radio button then click "Next":

Select "comma" as the delimiter (this is simply telling Excel how to properly display the data in columnar format) and click "Next":

Accept the default selections in Step 3 and click "Finish":

(7) Your temperature data wil be displayed across three columns. Don't worry if you see a bunch of # symbols in the first column - this just means that the data in those cells are too large to display at the column's current width. To correct this display, simply click the "A" at the top of the column and select "Format -->Column -->AutoFit Selection":

You can do this for all of the columns if you like.

Save this spreadsheet as your raw temperature data file, no longer in text format but in the native format of your spreadsheet application (e.g., Excel Workbook).

That's it! You should now be able to retrieve data from one or more loggers at intervals that will be specified at the start of a monitoring period. Your feedback on this tutorial is appreciated!

At this point you can create various graphs to display the temperature data and/or plug the data into our Degree Day worksheet (instructions provided in a separate thread, online soon).
Jim
Monarch Watch Research Assistant

OK, the gizmo works!

Postby SWAMPMILKWEED » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:38 am

The gizmo works, but I had to do somethings differently to get the data into the spreadsheet.

1. Instructions (4.) "Temperatures" tab....I errored by clicking on the higher tag Temperature and took several minutes to figure out that misstep.

2. Instructions (5.) I am using Microsoft Word 2002 & Microsoft Works 8.5 spreadsheets - the software that came with the Dell Dimension E510 in 2/2006 and could not figure out how to import data from Word into Works. It seemed that the tutorial was of no help in these steps. I tried pasting a small portion of the data to a new Word doc and saving it 2 or 3 different ways. Just now, I re-did the other steps to see if the data was retained on the logger and discovered that it was - it wasn't deleted as I had originally feared. So that is good ! I was so frustrated and ran out of ideas, that I reverted to the good old fashioned copy & paste the data from Word to Works. That worked correctly, the first try.... And this time using the tutorial, I read the instructions before proceeding!!!

Any suggestions how to import correctly? Copying and pasting can have errors, like leaving out data or duping it if not careful. I am really glad the logger does not delete the data after uploading so I can still work on this. Our of curiosity, how much data will it hold? how many days/seasons? Kinda neat to see the temperature fluctuations .... no frost yet here in Toledo OH!

Suggestions to the tutorial - 1. prepare us with a brief outline and numbered steps before the actual procedures. It would have helped while I was flipping back and forth thru my printed instructions. 2. Briefly note beforehand what computer procedures/knowledge are required. I might have worked on importing data before going thru the steps.

This is a great experience and I love being involved!!!! I'll take more of whatever else there is to come!!!!
THINK NATIVE!!!!
SWAMPMILKWEED

Me again....

Postby SWAMPMILKWEED » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:40 am

So is the logger to go back outside or is it done for the season? We have a few laggards in the area, but monarchs are pretty much gone for the year.
THINK NATIVE!!!!
SWAMPMILKWEED

Postby Sandwhy » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:39 pm

Thanks Swampmilkweed re) the OTHER Temperature tag. I did the same thing!

I have copied/pasted but will wait to export to Microsoft Word as my brand new iMac is arriving Saturday! YEAH! ahem. Sorry, very excited.

One other question, the date on my Thermochron is severely off. Did I miss the set-up portion of the program? and is it too late to rectify?Anywho, I have successfully logged temps from 2/04/01 through 3/18/01. Doh!

Monarchs are pretty much gone here and my milkweed has taken on a lovely rust-colored fall deadness. So I'm also wondering, do we put the Thermochron to bed for the winter or leave it outside?

Sandy :)
Waystation Number 236!
Evanston, IL
Sandwhy

Postby Jim » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:23 pm

I'll be sure to post something about the two temperature tabs - thanks. As far as correcting the date is concerned you can manually correct the date in your data file once you get it into Excel. As for the logger, when you start a new mission you have the option to syncronize the clock. Otherwise you can sync the clock with your computer at any time by selecting the "clock" tab in the OneWireViewer application when you have the logger connected and selected.

You are free to experiment with the loggers as you wish - they are very rugged and can measure temps below freezing. We'll have you exchange these prototype loggers for the real things before the official monitoring program in the spring.

BTW Sandy - congrats on your forthcoming bundle of joy...you'll love the new iMac :D
Jim

Postby fontanapark » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:37 am

I had the same issue with the 2 temp tabs, but figured it out after some messing. I also did not syncronize before getting my first readings, but did when I noticed the dates. Are we supposed to open a new excel page every time we get info off of the unit?
Sondra Cabell
fontanapark

Postby Sandwhy » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:44 pm

Howdy Jim et al -

So I tried to sync my thermochron clock with the PC clock and the bottom of the OneWireViewer started flashing all crazy-like, between "Polling Device", "Done Polling", and a long string of "Error reading device! blahblahblahblah etc" ... I finally figure out the last bit of the flashing alert, it said: "Cannot write to registers while mission is in progress".

SO I disabled the mission and was able to re-set the clock to the time that is on my "old" iMac (less than two days until the arrival of the new computer....!!!). Maybe I'll put the thermochron back outside to see how cold it REALLY gets here in the winter. Did I mention it snowed here this morning?!???

Brrr.

Sandy
Waystation Number 236!
Evanston, IL
Sandwhy

Postby Jim » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:48 pm

fontanapark wrote:Are we supposed to open a new excel page every time we get info off of the unit?

I should have the degree day worksheet online next week - it will basically give you a place to save all of the raw data and then include a worksheet for each month, in addition to a summary page.

-jim
Jim

Postby Sandwhy » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:27 pm

Hi again,

Got my new iMac and boy is she a beauty! I exported/imported successfully to Exel and all went as planned. Great detailed instructions - the screen shots are appreciated too!

Sandy :)
Waystation Number 236!
Evanston, IL
Sandwhy

shortcuts for Microsoft Excel / Works users

Postby Pat » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:03 am

Everything worked fine; I just skipped all the intermediate steps.

For Microsoft Excel, all you have to do once you've done the copy-with-labels from the thermochron screen is:

(1) Open Excel and paste the data from the thermochron screen to column A
(2) Highlight the column and click on Data, Text to Columns
(3) Answer the prompt screens to set Delimited, Comma, General Format and click the Finish button; it will parse the data into 3 columns.

Or, for Microsoft Works, just open an MS Works spreadsheet and paste the data directly from the thermochron screen to column A. It automatically parses it into 3 columns without additional prompting. My copy of Works is an older one (version 7); can't imagine they'd remove the functionality for subsequent releases, though.

Got one overnight temp below freezing; I guess the season's really over. Time to cover up the pool and send in my tag info.
Pat
Certified Monarch Waystation #12
near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Pat

Melusine13-Texas

Postby Melusine13 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:23 pm

My thermachron has been outside for since Sept. 23rd. I just tried to download. I know that I set it up exactly as the sample shows, but on the mission Celsius is checked now instead of Farenheit. Then when I try to get the graph up I get an error message:
"Error reading device!com.dalsemi.onewire.adapter.OneWire10Exception:OneWireContainer21-Cantforcetemperaturereadduringamission"

I don't want to lose the data. It logged 624 samples. high temp 85 C/low temp 52.5 C. SHould I redo the format and just start all over again? Did it somehow default to a Celsius format? Please advise. If I start a new mission, and it hasn't read the previous one, won't the data be lost?
Melusine13

Postby tcannard » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:26 pm

I think you will find you are on the wrong Temperature tab (see the screen shot for step 4 above in the instructions). First you need to click on the Thermochron tab, THEN Temperature. If the Farenheit box is not checked, you can check it without losing data - that conversion takes place in the program running on your PC, not in the Thermochron.
tcannard

Postby Melusine13 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:44 am

#1-I posted this as a new topic, but it appeared to be a 'stand alone'. I wanted others to view it too, just in case they had same question, so if this message appears twice/sorry!.

Okay-now that I realize it is the temperature button embedded under Thermachron, everything worked like clockwork. Thanks. (I had read in another's posting about hitting the 2nd temp button, but didn't know to what they were referring. Maybe on your instructions it could be clarified so you don't have other neophytes like me hitting the wrong button then going into a panic).

Question #2-now do I start a new mission? which wipes the previous data off? or do I just put it back out there continuing its currrent mission? Realize also, that my thermachron readings for 10/18-19 will be in error, as it was hooked up to my computer indoors. It is still inside, until I hear from you. Thanks -Melissa. :shock: :shock:
Melusine13

Postby Jim » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:36 pm

Yes, I will try to make the temperature button instructions more clear - please keep the suggestions coming!

There's really no need to start a new mission during this beta testing period; however, when you are participating in the actual Temperature Monitoring program next spring we will want to minimize (or make adjustments for) the time the logger may be indoors. Please make sure we address this in the protocol we'll be developing.

Thanks!
Jim

Melusine13

Postby Melusine13 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:51 pm

One other thought--and this is really stupid, but as a newbie to the process, I didn't think to PRINT the instructions from the very beginning. This would have made it easier to continue. So, I would advise instructing all to PRINT a copy for their quick referral. We have two computers, so when I hit a snag, I pulled up the instructions on one computer then ran back to mine, where the thermachron was hooked up. Also, I think you indicated there was some master download sheet (in another forum question?) that would be available? And how do we share data with other participants in the program? Should that be in the instructions also?

It has been an interesting test time. I think another factor would be if you have an automatic sprinkler system. If I don't place my thermachron out of range of the sprinkler, when it kicks on, it will hit the button (underneath the orange mounting)-which would impact the readings. Thanks again for including me-
Melusine13

Postby tcannard » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:52 pm

I was anxious to see of the Thermochron automagically adjusts for Daylight Saving Time and found it does NOT. I guess since this occurs in March and November when Monarch Larvae are not developing, it is of little or no consequence for this project?
tcannard

Daylight Savings Time

Postby wbl56 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:36 am

I just downloaded data from the thermochron for the first time since daylight savings time occurred, and it appears that the thermochron was smart enough to adjust for it. Cool!
Wade Lawrence
Lawrence Family Garden
Monarch Waystation #163
Kalamazoo, Michigan
wbl56

Postby tcannard » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:51 pm

I was wondering if anybody out there has thought about the possible impact of Microsoft's Windows Vista release to this project? I visited the OpenOffice.org site and they make no mention of Vista that I could find.
tcannard

Windows Vista

Postby Jim » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:51 am

tcannard wrote:I was wondering if anybody out there has thought about the possible impact of Microsoft's Windows Vista release to this project? I visited the OpenOffice.org site and they make no mention of Vista that I could find.

I have posted new 1-Wire drivers (beta) that should work with Vista and based on the system requirements OpenOffice should work as well:
http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/sour ... qs_20.html
Jim

Postby jbardwell » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:26 pm

Have figured it all out. We will start a new mission.
Will wait for further instructions.
Whoopie!
Jenny Bardwell
HSTA Curriculum Coordinator
jbardwell

Return to Popular Topics