Monarch Chrysalis Discoloration

Talk about all things relating to monarchs and Monarch Watch

Moderator: Monarch Watch

Monarch Chrysalis Discoloration

Postby blazing star » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:56 am

I hope someone can help. I have a chrysalis that took on a weird amber like color. I've never had this before so I googled and OE came up. My chrysalis looks nothing like the OE chrysalis on the internet. There are no splotches. Today, the chrysalis now looks shrunken and almost black so it's surely dead. I do not see any signs it could possibly emerge. It seems I should remove it to put in the freezer but I am concerned as this chrysalis is clustered with many others. If I pull it's silk pad, it may loosen the others. Any ideas on how to do this safely or should I wait for the others to emerge before doing this? I have concerns as if the chrysalis is infected, I don't want it contaminating newly emerged, healthy butterflies.

Also, does anyone know what caused this? The chrysalis has been there for some time and just went dark out of the blue.
blazing star

Re: Monarch Chrysalis Discoloration

Postby stacey16 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:45 am

Could you cut it right where the cremaster attaches to the silk thread? Did it turn totally black? If so it could be "black death".http://insects.about.com/od/keepinglive ... -Black.htm
stacey16

Postby blazing star » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:17 am

I'm scared. I will try that. If it's black death, that isn't good for the rest of the monarchs when they eclose. How would it get black death in chrysalis stage? isn't that odd or is it common?
blazing star

Postby blazing star » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:25 pm

I did it. I took a tweezer to tease off the chrysalis from the silk pad and it came lose and fell into a liquid mess. I think you're right that it was black death. I've had that happen to cats, but never to a chrysalis. The silk pad remains there. Is that contaminated and can it infect other chrysalis or emerging monarchs. I fear there is no way to get it removed without impairing the structure of the silk pads of the other chrysalis.

I did take vinegar and clean off the floor of the cage to decontaminate where it fell.

It's disappointing to lose this monarch but it's much better than having a case of OE, I guess.
blazing star

Postby stacey16 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:41 am

Good to disinfect the whole area where the chrysalis was. I've posted this link for more information.
http://www.learnaboutmonarchs.com/whatisblackdeath.html
stacey16

Postby blazing star » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:46 am

Thank you. I did disinfect the container but I could not disinfect where the silk pad was because there were other chrysalis right next to it. The good news is that most of the chrysalis have eclosed and have been released. All were very healthy and flew strong. I have a handful of chrysalis left and when those are released, I'll clean off the screen.
blazing star

Postby stacey16 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:23 pm

That's great news! I haven't had any monarchs hatch yet but I'm always relieved when they are healthy and I can let them go.
stacey16

Return to All Things Monarch