Can an OE B'fly be disinfected to use it's wings 4 repairs?

Talk about all things relating to monarchs and Monarch Watch

Moderator: Monarch Watch

Can an OE B'fly be disinfected to use it's wings 4 repairs?

Postby hills_dells_flowers » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:25 pm

Can a dead OE infected butterfly be disinfected of OE spores, to enable use of it's wings for wing repairs in others?

Is a good photo available here or online somewhere to compare dead OE spores to live OE spores? Thanks
hills_dells_flowers

Re: Can an OE B'fly be disinfected to use it's wings 4 repai

Postby blazing star » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:36 pm

I don't think I'd mess with that considering wings seem to be structurally impaired from OE.

There's no such thing as Live OE spores and Dead OE spores. They are all dormant. One a cat eats the spores, they then break open to release the actual parasite. Please see this link for more info. http://monarchparasites.uga.edu/whatisOE/index.html
blazing star

Postby hills_dells_flowers » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:10 pm

I believe that a 20% bleach solution does kill OE spores, that's what most labs recommend using to disinfect rearing containers, enclosures, anyplace a diseased monarch has been. And it's recommended to soak milkweed leaves in a 10% bleach solution for 20 minutes before using as caterpillar food. Last December 2012, I saw a photo on a site comparing the appearance of an OE spore (magnified of course) when treated with 2 different bleach solution strengths, but I can't find that page now. The bleach kills the spore, and stops cross contamination.

I soaked a dead butterfly in strong bleach for 5-10 minutes, to see what dead spores look like, so I'd be able to know when I have successfully killed them on my milkweed leaves and eggs, but I don't think they were all dead. Some were lighter than others, and the OE clumps still looked dark. I guess I have to find a different way to compare spores. The microscope I ordered on Amazon, claiming to be able to magnify from 60X-150X for $40, didn't magnify more than 10X, so you get what you pay for.

Blazing star, do you soak your milkweed in a bleach solution before using, and do you test your monarchs before releasing them?

Are you a Monarch Way-Station? I'd like to find out more about what that entails. Once all these pupaes are eclosed, I will be free to resume my life. All my slides from today's group were OE positive, and they were beauties. Very discouraging.
hills_dells_flowers

Postby blazing star » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:28 am

I see what you're saying. You want to know if your disinfecting is successful. Here's a link to spores killed by disinfecting. http://butterflyfunfacts.com/oe.php

I don't have a way station established. It's an application and a payment. At least that is what it used to entail.

I don't own or use bleach for anything. I yes white vinegar to clean my containers. I usually don't gave a high mortality rate, though.

Check this out. It relates to your "year round breeding in garden environs and oe numbers being high" comment. http://www.amnh.org/learn-teach/young-n ... n-monarchs.
blazing star

Return to All Things Monarch