I just became aware of the hazards milkweed can pose to people - see this post
from Monarch Watch and this forum discussion
on GardenWeb. I was all ready to buy a bunch of milkweed to attract monarchs, but now I'm nervous. I injured my corneas once, and I hope never, ever, EVER to do so again. I might consider still growing some milkweed plants for monarchs, but I want to know more, first.
The only thing I've been able to find is that some milkweed plants are more poisonous than others. For example, tropical milkweed (A. curassavica) is extra toxic - better for the butterflies but more dangerous for humans. Butterfly weed (A. tuberosa) may be less toxic, as its sap is barely milky at all, and toxicity might
correlate to the milkiness of the sap (the data is unclear to me).
Does anyone have further information about milkweed safety? Are there best practices for handling? Also, does anyone know the toxicity spectrum for milkweeds? I was planning to plant a bunch of swamp milkweed (A. incarnata) before I stumbled across eye safety warnings. Thank you!