If you have an incandescent light, you can put the pupa close to it. Monitor temperature so that it does not go over 85 degrees. Mist at least once a day. The warmth of the light will help it eclose faster. If you read the document that I just posted, then you will know that they can withstand freezing temps if they aren't wet for several days. http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/Entomolo ... venson.htm
Just read a post on the dplex (Monarch Watch's other list serve) that Monarchs are still traveling thru the Lake Erie area.
"The Town of Cobourg is about 100 km east of Cobourg. While the morning low temperature here was about 5 C (low 40's F), there was little wind when I arrived here at 11 am. As I walked down towards the lake at Victoria Beach, a lone monarch gracefully flew along and landed in an ornamental elm behind the ampitheatre. While the air temperature remained cool - particulary if you went into the shade, the sun was remarkably warm. This monarch opened up its wings to warm up. Other individuals walking the beach and boardwalk area noted they had also seen individual monarchs this morning. There was little or no wind in the morning, but in the afternoon, stronger north-wests arrived, blowing migrating raptors southward which then in turn head westward along the lake shore. Daytime high will be about 12 C (about 54 F).
No monarchs noted yesterday at the Holiday Beach Migration Observatory near Windsor.
Don Davis, Toronto, ON"http://www.monarchwatch.org/dplex/index.htm
Up to date Monarch News.
I've never heard of painting the antenna black and I would never recommend freezing a healthy Monarch. I'd wait for a sunny day and let it go. Just need temps above 50.