Finally found lots of eggs

Talk about all things relating to monarchs and Monarch Watch

Moderator: Monarch Watch

Finally found lots of eggs

Postby tessa » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:41 pm

Wow!! After not finding anything or seeing any Monarchs since early July, I finally just found 45 eggs between yesterday and today. She laid her eggs down toward the middle of the milkweed not up high. I am so happy to have found some. I hope they all do well and make it to Mexico. My location is south Alexandria Fairfax County Virginia. :D
Has anyone else had good luck lately? I sure hope so.
tessa

Re: Finally found lots of eggs

Postby Mr. Lund » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:19 pm

I am currently at 151 eggs, having started finding them since July 11th.

I am in the Lansing area of Michigan.
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." -- Carl Sagan
Mr. Lund

Postby stacey16 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:24 pm

I'm still finding eggs and hatchlings on my swamp milkweed (about 25 so far) and I have 26 chrysalis that need to hatch.
stacey16

Postby blazing star » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:19 pm

That's interesting you are finding more eggs, Stacey16. I have monarchs every day but no eggs. I am OK with this as I have around 70 cats and am officially running low on food.

I'm interested in at what point monarch begin migrating and no longer breeding. I heard the date of August 15, I believe, as the date after which an eclosed monarch will not breed but rather migrate South. Does anyone know for sure? I am keeping record of how many I release and would like to break out my info to breeding compared to migrating butterflies. Can anyone confirm or dispute this info?
blazing star

Postby blazing star » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:38 pm

It looks like, based on this link, that monarchs enclosing subsequent mid august will be migrants.

http://www.panhandlebutterflyhouse.org/ ... dness.html
blazing star

Postby stacey16 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:27 am

Do you think they will know to migrate if exposed to indoor lighting or do you turn lights off or cover them at dusk?
stacey16

Postby blazing star » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:57 pm

You ask a good question. I can only presume artificial light exposure does not impair their migration because I do know that they have recovered tagged monarchs at their overwintering grounds. So monarchs raised in a controlled environment, which presumably has artificial light, do migrate. In the video the science teacher posted I learned that they will form their chrysalis away from the light. In effect they would all be facing the same way. I mess with this desire as I never paid attention to which way I put the lid back on or which way I face the cage when I'm done cleaning it. I'm now going to make sure I don't mess with the direction of the lid or cage so all chrysalis can form in the manner they desire.

I am also going to cover the cages at night with a towel to diminish the light pollution they receive. I'll only place over half of the lid so that they can get oxygen.

In the end, we are probably impairing them somewhat if we don't know everything about them.

I do know that artificial light wreaks havoc on wildlife so your question would prompt a logical response that the cages should be covered from light. I just haven't thought about it until you asked it. :(
blazing star

Return to All Things Monarch