Raising Monarchs Video Series

Talk about all things relating to monarchs and Monarch Watch

Moderator: Monarch Watch

Raising Monarchs Video Series

Postby Mr. Lund » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:33 am

Greetings Monarch Watchers!

I'm brand new to this board, and wish to make as much of a positive, progressive contribution to helping the east of the Rockies monarch population as possible.

My name is Rich Lund, and I'm a high school science teacher (chemistry) in Michigan. I took an interest in the Monarch plight in the summer of 2012, finding and rearing around ten eggs. With success, I was encouraged to really scout for more in 2013, and found 17 eggs all summer.

I know that the numbers are down to a record low, but this summer, I've done the same amount of searching as in 2013, but I've found a current tally of 139 eggs! (Along with 13 cats!) I don't know what's going on compared to last year, but I've found so many so often, I can't chalk it up to just being lucky.

At any rate, I have a YouTube channel which is popular with my small area and school students. I've decided to undertake a video series which instructs others on how to raise monarchs from eggs to adults. I don't claim it's the BEST way, but just details the way that I've found to do it the last 3 years. I'd love for members of this board to do two things if they are willing and able:

1) Please watch the videos and give me feedback. What am I doing right? What could I easily be doing better with my procedure that I haven't thought of? What am I doing wrong? You could give such feedback on this message board, or directly on the YouTube channel. Thank you in advance!

2) If you feel so inclined, please forward the video (Part 1, preferably) to others you know would be interested. This could be done through email, or posting the video on your Facebook page, or other type of social media. My goal is to reach as wide of an audience as possible, in order to try and get others to do what many of us do.

It should be mentioned, the videos have songs in them that are not my property, and thus, might not be able to be played on mobile devices. Home PC's, however, have no problem playing them.

The link to the first video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I5F4AHyQHs

From the first video, there's a link at the end to Part 2, and likewise, a link from Part 2's end to Part 3. Part 4 is currently being edited, and Part 5 has yet to be filmed (at the time of this posting). When they are finished, there will also be links to them at the end of the previous video.

Many thanks for any time and consideration you give this!
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." -- Carl Sagan
Mr. Lund

Re: Raising Monarchs Video Series

Postby blazing star » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:24 pm

Hi Mr. Lund,

I watched part 1. Tremendous. I thought you did a great job explaining all topics touched upon throughout. I appreciated how the message came across, i.e., that it's a serious endeavor - a commitment, as you say. It's great that you touched upon how much food a caterpillar needs. Anyone interested in raising monarchs would be able to use this as a thorough guide to finding, and collecting eggs. As depressing as it is, I also appreciate the information in the beginning of the video. Hopefully, it will help motivate people.

I can only think of one thing you may consider doing differently. For egg collection, I actually tear the leaf around the egg for removal. I don't remove full leaves for this purpose any longer. This arose out of neccessity as I have to preserve as many leaves for future food source as possible. I collect any eggs I see and lay these tiny leaf pieces on an entire fresh leaf. When the eggs hatch they will migrate to the leaf to eat and leave the tiny leaf piece. This way, the monarch has more leaves on which to lay eggs and I have more leaves to feed future cats. I have not found that the missing leaf piece makes the leaves unpalatable to the cats.

I have heard some people actually remove the egg off the leaf entirely but I'm not confident I wouldn't injure the egg doing this.

I, too, have found more eggs this year. Let's hope it's a positive sign for the overall population.

I look forward to watching the other YouTube parts.
blazing star

Postby Mr. Lund » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:16 am

Blazing Star,

Thank you very much for the kind words. I had some apprehension (slight) that maybe I was doing 15+ things wrong and just didn't know it from lack of experience. I appreciate very much the feedback.

I had not considered just removing a small portion of the leaf from the plant. That certainly is an excellent idea, particularly when milkweed is scarce. However, once I "get going", I usually have some other cats developing at home when I find a new egg, and thus, after I cut the small piece that has the egg on it out of the leaf, I use the rest of the leaf to feed whatever cats I currently have. That way, none of it goes to waste. Because I do it this way, I didn't even think to mention that people collecting just one egg might consider not removing the entire leaf.

I touch on this, as far as cutting out a portion of the leaf that has the egg on it in my Part 2 video. Again, Part 2 and 3 are already on that same YouTube channel, and at the end of the Part 1 video, there's a link to Part 2. (Likewise, at the end of Part 2 is a link to Part 3, and so on.) However, here's the direct link to Parts 2 & 3, which are all that's finished. Part 4 is currently being edited (all about the chrysalis) and Part 5, showing the adults emerge, is yet to be filmed.

Raising Monarchs Part 2 - Hatching Eggs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehq__6MQP3w

Raising Monarchs Part 3 - Caring For Caterpillars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJU8-FpGI78

I will admit, these videos are a done deal. If I have mistakes, they'll have to stay, as once you publish it on YouTube, there's various reasons you don't want to have to re-publish it. For example, if people have already shared the video or posted it places, re-publishing would make those links invalid. However, I can add annotations whenever I like, and that's how I could make corrections or additional information.

If any of you watch these videos and have suggestions, I'd love to hear them (though I can't promise they'll all make it as an annotation).

And, as I'm currently editing the chrysalis video, and have yet to film the emerging/releasing adults video, suggestions are thoroughly welcomed from you all, as I'm sure your experience can help add to these videos!
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." -- Carl Sagan
Mr. Lund

Postby blazing star » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:56 am

Part 2. Great job. LOL - I love the song choice with the cat. I have never seen a cat emerge from the shell. They are always done with their business by the time I see them. I really appreciated this close up view.
blazing star

Postby blazing star » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:03 pm

Part 3 is also excellent and thorough. I remember reading to always wash hands before handling caterpillars and washing them again when cleaning one container to the next. Supposedly, this prevents the spread of disease (like black death). I'm not sure if there is validity to this. It's something I read from this forum years back.

Please let us know when Part 4 and 5 are up on YouTube.
blazing star

Postby Mr. Lund » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:01 pm

Part 4 is being edited today, and will either be up today or tomorrow. I'll send word when it is.

Thanks for viewing these and the feedback!
Mr. Lund

Postby blazing star » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:04 pm

You do a good job making it entertaining and interesting. I can see why you are a teacher.
blazing star

Postby Mr. Lund » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:54 pm

"Raising Monarchs Part 4 - The Chrysalis" has been finished, and published on YouTube.

Enjoy!

Direct Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84Ha_TjUpEk
Mr. Lund

Return to All Things Monarch