Suggestions

Talk about all things relating to monarchs and Monarch Watch

Moderator: Monarch Watch

Suggestions

Postby cmason » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:25 pm

I just heard the truck cruise by spraying for mosquitos. I've got lushous milkweed blooming and have enjoyed collecting eggs (25 this week) and little instars (15) munching. Wondering if I should rinse the milkweed in the morming. I realize it's for West Nile.
Frustrated
Chris Mason
Lake Geneva, WI
cmason

Re: Suggestions

Postby blazing star » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:10 am

If you wish, you can make your house a no spray zone by calling them and telling them you opt out. I'm not sure if they do this near you but because I opted out, they will actually call me the day they spray and then I cover a couple plants with fabric and remove it in the morning, I haven't lost a cat since I've been doing this.

Before I was on the no spray list, I lost my cats from the spray and I had rinsed my leaves but I think the chemicals break down differently depending on what is used. From what I've read sunlight helps break down the chemicals more quickly.

If you want leaves from another area, I can see if anyone near Harvard or Alden would let you pick some tomorrow. Let me know....
blazing star

Postby cmason » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:14 am

Thank you for the suggestions. There are areas around here that I know aren't sprayed and I go to Cazenovia, WI on the weekends. My place is out in the boonies, so I know that nothing is sprayed there,
Chris Mason
Lake Geneva, WI
cmason

Postby blazing star » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:58 am

I had to go to Buffalo Creek near my house when going through what you are. Big hassle. Sorry for you and I hope the cats make it ok.
blazing star

Return to All Things Monarch