Monarch eggs need homes!

Talk about all things relating to monarchs and Monarch Watch

Moderator: Monarch Watch

Monarch eggs need homes!

Postby Mom2RJA » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:03 pm

After not seeing a single monarch last year and struggling to find a few cats this spring, I decided to keep my butterflies for a few days to see if I could get them to breed. My experiment was wildly successful and I now have a lot of eggs that I would like to find homes for. If anyone is near Ann Arbor, MI and would like to raise some monarchs, please let me know.
Mom2RJA

Re: Monarch eggs need homes!

Postby blazing star » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:41 am

You're far away but I think people here would take them. I have so many eggs that I am meeting someone tomorrow who will help me raise some. I think she'd take more but I have to check. You're about 4 1/2 hours away so driving isn't practical. Can eggs be shipped?
blazing star

Postby Mom2RJA » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:17 am

They can't be shipped across state lines without a permit (I don't have a permit). I believe it is legal for me to ship them within Michigan, although I worry about how hot the weather has been. Where are you?
Mom2RJA

Postby blazing star » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:44 am

About 4 1/2 hours away - an hour northwest of a Chicago. How many eggs do you have?
blazing star

Postby Mom2RJA » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:31 pm

I have no idea how many eggs I will have. I released the female that laid yesterday's eggs. I have two more laying today. One of them has injured wings and can't be released, so I will have all the eggs she ever lays. Probably several hundred. But I can't ship the to IL.
Mom2RJA

Postby Mom2RJA » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:43 pm

I gave away about 70 eggs today to friends who are eager to raise them. I'm hoping I can find more local monarch raisers as the eggs continue to be laid. I want to thank Mona Miller, who has guided me through this whole process. I would never have dared to keep monarchs and try to breed them without her invaluable help.
Mom2RJA

Postby blazing star » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:55 pm

Excellent! We created a local group here and help each other the same way. It does take the stress off. I just dropped a lot of eggs at someone's house tonight, too.

If you can't find more locals, and still need homes, maybe we can meet half way. There's a bunch of us here communally raising so we may be able to take a load off and help. Good luck.
blazing star

Postby rmassa8 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:29 am

Hello Blazing Star and Mom2RJA!

I think it is so wonderful what you are doing! I live in Southeastern Massachusetts and I have a certified Monarch Waystation. I have over 100 common milkweed plants as well as some pink and white swamp milkweed plants. They are all blooming right now and they smell heavenly. Unfortunately, I am sitting in my garden forlornly waiting for my first Monarch sighting - nothing yet :frown:

I would give anything to be able to help you raise your eggs as I do it every year. Too bad I live so far away. It makes me so sad to see how much trouble the Monarchs are in as I have loved them since I was 9 years old and I am 55 now, LOL!! I wish you both the best of luck with your Monarch raising endeavors. God knows they need all the help they can get.
rmassa8

Postby blazing star » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:32 pm

Thank you. I just found 25 more eggs today and have 26 baby cats. The woman who I gave the approx. 60 eggs last night has not seen one monarch while they are in my yard now daily. She lives so close, too.

Another woman here does a newsletter and a lot of people here are now raising them due to her efforts. She sent out a survey and is receiving very positive comments back. Let's hope it's indicative of the population as a whole. I hope you see some soon!
blazing star

Postby blazing star » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:00 am

How's it going Mom2RJA? Did you locate other people to help or will you need me to do something?
blazing star

Postby Mom2RJA » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:37 pm

I think I have enough local people, but thank you for offering to help.The butterflies stopped mating and stopped laying eggs, so I don't have as many as I thought I would. I released the two mated females who can fly, so I just have my injured one left. I have quite a few who have expressed interest who don't have eggs yet. I have given away 80 eggs, and the first ones hatched today. I have 5 caterpillars here so far, plus 5 more that look ready to pop. There should be more in the next couple of days. I still have several friends who want them, and the local science and nature center has also expressed an interest in raising some. They just started a monarch program there.
Mom2RJA

Postby blazing star » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:28 am

Wonderful news. Thanks from reporting. I'm happy you don't feel overwhelmed.

I am collecting daily and give the excess to a local monarch watch member to raise. She has formed a network of others. Since the forum is now without information, I have had to rely on her to gain information to raise them properly in the case of disease or parasites. She just showed me how to move a chrysalis. I've seen internet videos but was still too intimidated to do this. The hands on is so much more effective with my comfort level. I hope you don't feel lost, like me, without the forum info and that you have support, if needed.

Sounds like you found yourself a nice community there.
blazing star

Postby Mom2RJA » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:58 pm

I don't have anyone local I can go to for information, but Mona Miller has been incredibly helpful guiding me through this whole process. I am so grateful that I connected with her on facebook before all the posts on this forum was deleted. There was so much information here that isn't accessible anymore, and that is really tragic. This forum was always my primary resource in the past. I am giving eggs mostly to people who have never raised butterflies before. I am teaching them how to do it. I wish I could direct them here for information, but it isn't here anymore. I am fortunate to have a mentor who teaches me so that I can in turn teach others. The monarchs need us, and they need us to have good information.

This facebook group has also been helpful and might be of interest to anyone here who hasn't already found it:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/303259184298/
Mom2RJA

Postby blazing star » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:38 am

I know. It's too bad. It would be nice if the most frequently needed info was compiled for easy reference or, hopefully, someone with knowledge will fill the void.
blazing star

Postby stacey16 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:58 am

I agree the old posts were an invaluable source of information! Glad to know Mona is on Facebook. I just have to say thanks to all of you for helping the monarch butterfly. Sounds like you are really making a difference raising them on a large scale.
stacey16

Return to All Things Monarch