Releasing Monarchs

Talk about all things relating to monarchs and Monarch Watch

Moderator: Monarch Watch

Releasing Monarchs

Postby cmason » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:03 pm

I had 2 monarch eclose this am and I put them in my gazebo. If I understand all of the post I have read--monarchs can go for 48 hours with out eating? We've been having some awful storm here in SE WI lately and I'd like to give these guys at least a decent start.
Please inform me if I'm wrong
Chris Mason
cmason

Re: Releasing Monarchs

Postby blazing star » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:35 am

I had a bad storm come through last night and I, too, didn't want to release them before the storm so I kept them in their cage overnight. I drape a towel halfway over the top of the cage so they can still get fresh air. The towel covers the cage sides as much as possible so as to prevent light from entering. I am not sure about exact hours of survival with no food but keeping them overnight will not impair them. I learned from this forum to darken the cage with a cover and it settles them down and keeps them more calm. It works. I'm not sure how to apply this to a gazebo though.
blazing star

Re: Releasing Monarchs

Postby stacey16 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:23 am

Chris, were you able to release your monarchs the next day? If I can't release them the day after they hatch, I put a vase of flowers like Zinnias and flox in the screenhouse with the monarchs. I've used gatorade on a cottonball also, but then I worry about them having sticky feet. I wonder how they eat in the wild if it's raining all day?
stacey16

Return to All Things Monarch