Some suggestions on eggs found on flower buds

Talk about all things relating to monarchs and Monarch Watch

Moderator: Monarch Watch

Some suggestions on eggs found on flower buds

Postby cmason » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:23 pm

I found 6 monarch eggs on milkweed buds. I cut the stem and stuck it in water, but not sure if I should leave them there until they come out of their shell or take then off and put on a leaf?
Amazing what a person finds using a magnifying glass
Chris Mason
Lake Geneva, WI
cmason

Re: Some suggestions on eggs found on flower buds

Postby stacey16 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:17 pm

Thanks for the info. After reading your post, I went out and searched the milkweed flower buds in my yard and my neighbors yard and found 11 eggs. We both grow swamp milkweed. I was so happy!
stacey16

Postby stacey16 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:32 pm

Are the eggs close together or spread out on the flower bud? If the six are spread out enough you could wait til they hatch. I usually try to keep each one separate so the one that hatches first doesn't eat the others egg. I have each of my eggs on the piece of flower bud layed on top of a leaf. After they hatch and get a little bigger I like to put them on their own plant.
stacey16

Postby cmason » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:39 pm

They are all on their separate buds, but I'll try to put some each on a separate leaf. I just wasn't sure if the bud would dry up before they hatch,
Chris Mason
cmason

Postby blazing star » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:26 am

I just had this happen to me for the first time this year. I saw a monarch laying eggs but not one was on a leaf....only the flower buds. I plucked just the individual flower buds and put them all on a leaf with the stem wrapped in wet paper towel and tinfoil. I change the leaf daily and when the eggs hatch, the cats just crawl to the fresh leaf.
blazing star

Postby stacey16 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:46 am

Do you keep them inside? I had 7 of my eggs hatch and right now they are kept inside. When they grow to about 1/4 inch I put each cat on their own stem cutting (cut a plastic water bottle in half, fill the bottom with water and turn the top upside down and place it on the bottom and place the cutting into the water.Thestem has paper towel wrapped around it so the cat can't fall in) and put each plant on a table in the screenhouse on our deck. The plants stay a lot fresher and the lighting is what they would have outside. What is the best way to keep leaves from drying out when you keep the cats in the house?
stacey16

Postby blazing star » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:37 pm

It's hard because I wrap the stem in wet paper towel and then wrap that with tin foil. So time consuming. The woman I raise with taught me a lot of tips and one is to take a used, cleaned out cat food can, cut florist foam with it, put the foam in the campn, dampen it and put the milkweed stalks in the damp foam. She says swamp milkweed will keep for days doing this but I have had no success growing swamp....only common. I have to change common daily. It does dry out so fast.

Yes, all my cats are indoor raised in glass aquariums with a screen top. My aquariums don't facilitate a long stem but that sounds so much easier.
blazing star

Postby stacey16 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:58 am

Thanks, I find it helpful to hear from others the best ways to keep the leaves fresh and use them effeciently. I 'm keeping mine inside till they get bigger because one disappeared in the screenhouse. So, I've been wrapping wet paper towel around a stem and enclosing the paper towel in a baggy with a rubber band around to keep the water from leaking out. Next instar, I use the water bottle with the stems. I never though of floral foam. Greate idea. I did hear about using water tubes for corsages. Is there some other kind of milkweed you can grow there besides common? I used to think common was all there was until my neighbor gave me swamp.
stacey16

Postby blazing star » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:19 am

There are numerous types of milkweed that grow here but I haven't had success with any except common. I have tried plugs and seeds. Just no luck. Each year I try again.
blazing star

Postby stacey16 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:42 am

For years I used common too and it worked just fine. Some years my swamp wilk weed is better than others. I had a couple plants just wilt and die in the garden and the leaf quality varies also. I have the utmost respect and admiration that you take the time to raise monarchs. I had none last year so I am really appreciating my group of 8 right now. I never tire of watching the miracle of transformation from egg to butterfly!
stacey16

Postby blazing star » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:44 pm

I am seriously overwhelmed. Each day I find more eggs or baby cats. Far more than I have ever raised before. The person I met last year is on standby to help so it's not quite as scary as it would otherwise be. Thank you for raising them as well.

I have a question....when you do your method of the water drenched towel in a baggy, how long does that keep common milkweed fresh? My method only retains leaves for 24 hours, or so.
blazing star

Postby stacey16 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:34 am

Inside the house, I had the same result with common milkweed leaves. They only last about a day or day and a half. I know the air in our house is drier because of the air conditioner running all the time. The leaves do last longer in the screenhouse maybe because of higher humidity and cooler temperatures at night?
stacey16

Postby blazing star » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:47 am

Makes sense. Just making sure there's nothing I can do to prolong the leaf life. Thank you.
blazing star

Postby stacey16 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:37 am

I'll start a new topic on it. I'm always looking for ways to use leaves more effeciently because they eat so much when they are 5th instar. Found 3 more eggs this morning all on the flower buds.
stacey16

Return to All Things Monarch