Off Topic

Talk about all things relating to monarchs and Monarch Watch

Moderator: Monarch Watch

Off Topic

Postby cmason » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:39 am

Success!! I just raised a black swallowtail. It eclosed this morning. After the brutile winter in the garage, I had my doubts.
Chris Mason
Lake Geneva, SE WI
cmason

Re: Off Topic

Postby blazing star » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:59 am

I released 2 giants as well. A third one died. They were on my front porch in the brutal cold and made it through. I did not take any measure to protect them. Amazing.
blazing star

Postby stacey16 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:30 pm

I agree this Wiscoonsin winter was harsh. Our family overwintered ten Black swallowtails (also in an unheated garage in a mesh cage to keep rodents out) and they all hatched this spring thanks to the overwintering techniques learned from this forum. Thank You to all who posted links and info. last fall. It is so great to see the miracle of a butterfly hatching!
We have one Giant swallowtail that never hatched. When does one give up hope? We found him as a full-grown caterpillar whereas the Black swallowtails were found having just hatched from eggs on our dill. The swallowtails were a blessings since we had zero monarchs last year. Anyway, we've only seen two monarchs this year, no eggs on our milkweed.
stacey16

Postby blazing star » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:47 pm

I don't know when one should give up hope on a Giant but it sure seems it should have hatched by now.

I have had luck with monarchs this year and have around 47 that are in chrysalis. I just found a handful of new eggs and still have some cats I'm raising. So far, so good.
blazing star

Postby blazing star » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:47 pm

I don't know when one should give up hope on a Giant but it sure seems it should have hatched by now.

I have had luck with monarchs this year and have around 47 that are in chrysalis. I just found a handful of new eggs and still have some cats I'm raising. So far, so good.
blazing star

Postby stacey16 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:40 pm

You're probably right that the Giant won't hatch. I have heard of moths that skip the hatching time till the next year but no butterflies do that to my knowledge.
I have some monarch eggs now so that will keep me busy.
stacey16

Return to All Things Monarch