Friends of the Earth Bee Action campaign

Talk about all things relating to monarchs and Monarch Watch

Moderator: Monarch Watch

Friends of the Earth Bee Action campaign

Postby Paul » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:49 pm

Bee-Toxic Pesticides Found in "Bee-Friendly" Plants Sold at Garden Centers Nationwide
http://www.foe.org/beeaction (click to "Send a letter to the CEOs of Home Depot and Lowe's asking them to stop selling bee-killing pesticides."

"A new, first-of-its-kind pilot study by Friends of the Earth-US and Pesticide Research Institute has found 54 percent of common garden plants purchased at top retailers including Lowes and Home Depot contained neonicotinoid pesticides..."
Paul

Re: Friends of the Earth Bee Action campaign

Postby mybblucas » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:28 pm

Thank you Paul! This was very distressing to hear about and substantially changed where I made my plant purchases. I hope the companies realize how many of us will be watching to see how they plan to address this. [-X
mybblucas

Postby Paul » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:23 am

I never expected them to be organic, but at least rinse the stuff off before selling it, and misnaming it bee friendly.....I guess they view this as an enhancement, pest-free for weeks and months...
Paul

Postby Paul » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:48 pm

mybblucas wrote:Thank you Paul! This was very distressing to hear about and substantially changed where I made my plant purchases. I hope the companies realize how many of us will be watching to see how they plan to address this. [-X

also, this to contact one's US representative
Tell Congress to support the Save America's Pollinators Act (for bees and butterflies and others...)
http://action.foe.org/p/dia/action3/com ... _KEY=13977
Paul

Postby hills_dells_flowers » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:47 pm

Thanks for bringing this issue to light. It will definitely influence where I buy plants. It always amazes me how lax the U.S. is on environmental issues, such as signing the global warming treaty. A cousin in Europe chided me about that treaty, that "we" hadn't signed it, and about the apparent low priority and/or disinterest our government places on environmental issues. It seems that only when things become extremely dire is anything done. Not a good role model. Why isn't the public asked what they want, instead of a handful of people making earth changing decisions that will affect everyone and all creatures?

I was reading several years ago about how the majority of electrical cars produced years prior, were flattened and in junkyards before having ever been used. When the cost of gas went down, people went back to gas guzzlers. Short sighted, a "live for today-don't worry about tomorrow" mentality, I don't understand it.

I'm very saddened at the plight of the bee and all insect life. Do you think that GMO crops and their consequences is also killing and weakening bees?
hills_dells_flowers

Postby blazing star » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:08 am

Before this forum went down, I posted something about native bees. For some reason these beneficial pollinators seemed to get over looked compared to the exotic bees we've imported here. They are largely solitary nesters and nest in wood tunnels. I think some native bees nest in dirt tunnels that they excavate. I leave patches of bare ground for this. So people can do a lot to help our native bee pollinators by growing plants native to one's area that provide season long blooms (April through October in my area). I have purchased several bee nesting boxes from Bee Diverse. My colony is growing and healthy and I've never disinfected their chambers or their eggs. I leave the boxes out year round and they hatch in Spring to create the next generation using the same nest boxes from which they were raised.

If you have time and are handy, you can make your own nest boxes. I purchased mine here: http://beediverse.com/
blazing star

Postby sbannister » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:32 pm

Thanks for the info - I had no idea this bee pesticide use was going on and I just signed the letter in the link.
Susan B., Kenner, LA Waystation #1944
sbannister

Return to All Things Monarch