Thanks, Paul for your response. You’re right, we’re 200 km directly east of Winnipeg. Our last Monarch emerged on August 8th and was gone on the second day. This was from an egg brought back from the Winnipeg area on a leaf collected to feed our cats and at that time we had no more eggs being deposited in our garden. Two days seems to be about the hanging-around time for all our releases. Somehow we must be missing that FIRST generation for our area as May 27th was the first Monarch siting in our garden. I first found eggs on June 5th but we had been away for 2 weeks. The first larvae I found on June 14th. Extrapolating those dates, the first emergence SHOULD have been around July 5th, right? In fact our first emergence from eggs collected mid-June, along with some 1st and 2nd instars, was July 11th. Not a great discrepancy. After July 1st I documented all steps and stages. We were still seeing only 4 Monarchs and they didn’t seem to be depositing any more eggs. July 3rd we had 9 chrysalids. July 11th, the first emergence, we had 110 chrysalids and had been finding only a very few additional eggs. I’m not sure on which ‘end’ of our production we would have experienced another generation. But for sure they’re all gone now! Next year I’ll collect the FIRST eggs I find. This year we didn’t begin until we had found hundreds of ‘hatching holes.’ That may well lead to a 2nd generation in our garden.
Thanks again, Paul, I’m adding your comments to my documentation for next year.
Waystation # 850